Saturday, October 15, 2016

Avast there, cancer!


Kelly got a good report from the doctors on Friday.

She had an MRI that showed that the tumor has not spread since the last look we got at the end of August.  It has not shrunk like we had hoped, but the surrounding swelling has greatly reduced.  So the chemotherapy and the other medicines seem to be working!

This new chemo is an IV drug, so she has to go to the hospital once every two weeks to spend an hour or so hooked up to an IV.  The drug is called Avastin, and the name immediately made both Kelly and I think of "Avast there, matey".  Avast really does mean "stop", but talk-like-a-pirate day was way back in September, although I encouraged her to wear her pirate hat to the chemo appointments, I guess that was too goofy even for her.  I missed my chance when I accompanied her to her chemo appointment on Friday.

Pirates or no, we seem to be stopping the tumor.  Next step is to work on the side effects of the medicines while we play a waiting game for the full benefits of the previous radiation therapy.



No comments:

Post a Comment