Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Making Soup

Grandmas for ages have known that it is the best thing to do when things aren't going well.  Whether you have a cold or a broken heart, making soup somehow helps.  Depending on your heritage it may have been chicken, or beef, or matzo ball, or minestrone.  We come from the heritage of the Living Learning center at UVM in the 70's, so we make Pistou soup - beans and veggies with fresh pesto.  Last night was a night to make soup.


Mom got the results of her MRI yesterday, and they were not encouraging.  As we had suspected from her worsening symptoms, the tumor has grown.  This suggests that the experimental Kaytruda drug isn't working.  Going forward, mom's chemo regime will stop Kaytruda and only continue with Avastin, a chemo drug that has been successfully blocking blood flow to the tumor area.

Kaytruda was the "next thing" to try, and now there isn't a next thing.  That is scary.

This week has been hard.  The bright spot I keep coming back to is that we are doing this as a family. I have an ever growing appreciation for those people who are the sole caregiver for someone who is sick.  It can feel overwhelming to care for mom, but I am so thankful that we can give each other breaks, and hugs and words of encouragement.  Thanks to all of you for being part of the extended family of relatives, church family, community members and friends who are sharing this load.  We love and appreciate all of you!

11 comments:

  1. Dear King family, how true Sarah's comment is about the strength of you all as a family. I was thinking about that just last night. Please know that we, like so many of the other members of our community, are with you in love and prayer.

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are indeed as much with you and totally for you as is possible. We love you... So much so. And admire you in your incredible courage and in all this honesty
    Our prayers include and uplift you each night.
    Nate & Ama

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're thinking of you all, and I'm so inspired by your family and the love and strength you share.

    Allison Bankston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read through the most recent information, and appreciate knowing a little more about recent developments, though discouraging. I'm reminded of our own process, and how important the writing was to me personally...... plus keeping everyone informed, updated, tuned in. Wish I had better insight into what I could do that would be more helpful and supportive.... know at the very least that my thoughts and heart are with you all, and that I am so appreciative of knowing you all and the incredible beauty and inspiration you all are to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are all in my prayers! Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kelly, Been catching up and following once again, on your journey of strength and determination. Keep on going strong, you are all in my prayers as you go through this together, bound by your amazing caring and love for each other. Hugs. ~ Kathy Barrett

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an amazing family! God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was constantly reminded of "Footprints in the Sand" when Buck and I were going through his ordeal. Jesus carried us through it all, and he is carrying me still. I know he is carrying each of you now, and I pray you all are experiencing that certainty. Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a hard journey to be on, for Kelly and the whole family but how reassuring to know that you have one another to lean on. No fair. Kelly is one of the most joyous, giving, and spontaneously caring people I know, and I dearly wish and pray this cancer would leave her alone. I hope you keep coming back to that 'bright spot', no matter how hard it gets. Love and prayers and yes, more soup to nourish the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss you all so much and sending you all so much LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Am continuing to pray for Kelly and your whole family. This must be so hard - I don't have words. And yet I know that you are "leaning on the everlasting arms". (Hopefully you know that old hymn.) Much love, Linda Sperry (down in Townshend, VT)

    ReplyDelete