Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Best Intentions

Kelly always assumes best intentions.  She says it is why she and daddy have such a supportive and harmonious marriage.  It is how she chooses a response when something happens that could be offensive.  I can remember so many conversations where she has thought of all sorts of possibilities where thing could be just a misunderstanding or mistake, because clearly there wouldn't be malicious intent.  I have never learned how to navigate conflict with mom because there never was any.  She assumes best intentions and everything rolls off her back.



Kelly is selfless.  She has spent her entire adult life being a mother, and I don't know of a more selfless task.  Mothering is already a full time job, multiply by 4 and add on homeschooling, and I don't know if she has had a moment of "me time" in the last 28 years.  On top of that she has served her community by running the farmers' market, helping at church, nannying kids in town and so much more.




Kelly is unflaggingly positive and appreciative.  I suppose this is largely a symptom of assuming best intentions.  But it is also a symptom of noticing what is good.  The response to anything beautiful is to notice it, whether it is good food, or kind words, or lovely weather. The response to a problem is always, "Well, how will we move forward?"  Even in this whole process of dealing with brain cancer, mom has continued to look at the bright side (see Barry's post "Polyanna has a brain tumor").


The tumor doesn't have Kelly's beautiful spirit.  It sometimes assumes that if people can't make sense of her words, it's because they aren't trying.  It sometimes grabs at other peoples' food because it is worried she won't get any of her own.  It sometimes thinks that if we don't immediately do what it says it is because we don't love her.

But, we do love her so much.  And when the tumor says those things, we have to remember that it isn't her.  When she is talking, it is easy to know, because it is consistent with who she has been the last 57 years of her life.

"Thank you honey," "That foot rub feels so good,"  "That's beautiful," "I'm so glad you're here," "You take such good care of me,"  "This is delicious," "I love you".

13 comments:

  1. beautiful words for a beautiful person who always does beautiful things

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such eloquent and true words for such a powerfully loving woman. From the day I met her she not only made me feel welcome to the family but somehow made me feel like I'd always been there. She brightens every room she enters and fills it with warmth, smiles, love, laughs. I love you, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear Sarah. Such beauty in your words. Such a beautiful picture of your dear mom and that nasty cancer. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your wisdom, openness, and sharing your journey, Sarah. Yes, Kelly is love and magic all in one. Wishing you all strength and sending heartfelt hugs. I think of you all so often and miss you dearly. Breathe peace, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly is one of the most inspiring people in my life. I don't think I would have done half as good a job at parenting without her support, kindness, knowledge and love. I hear her positive spirit, patience, and wisdom in your beautiful writing Sarah and I know this will endure. Sending love and strength to all your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you and yours, Bert, AND Kelly and Her family. So appreciative of the updates, and praying......

      Delete
  7. That awesome person we met and fell in love with the very day we met her. That spirit that soul that Love. The burning jumping-bean brain, an unabashed intellectual dancer on the heads of pins.. opinions and optimism, and the *most loving mother*... im thinking now of Kelly always relaying really funky funny stories to us
    "...Oh my gosh the kids, did I tell you? This dang meme?!! HoneyBadgerDontCare!!!" And we stare in wonder, not knowing what the heck she has seen as *we* haden't seen the meme yet..lol .. the time she was explaining to us just how different Noah and Ben are, and the blastingly loud metal music filled our heads.. she just smiled and laughed "that's blah blah group, he loves them..." Big grinning and "...have more of this oatmeal bread and my cheesy butter the kids don't like, or some of this pesto!"

    Heartfelt Love
    Thank you for your beautiful writing sparking these thoughts.

    Ama & Nate

    ReplyDelete
  8. What A beautiful tribute! To a beautiful woman! We think of you so often and pray every night for all of you. We love you and so wish you didn't have to be going through this. May the Lord grant you all his enormous and beyond understanding peace.
    Freddie & Brian Jones

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words paint a picture that goes beyond love Sarah. It is the peace that passes understanding that by writing out these thoughts and beliefs you give us all. In my humble opinion of course. I am so grateful that you all are sharing this journey so we all can make an effort to love our own families a bit more and remember what really makes the world go around. Please hug your Mom for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. btw, my brother and father-in-law both had glio tumors. Your description is right on. The true spirit is so much more resilient.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the hardest parts of a disease of the brain is the sudden shifts in personality. I'm so glad you can see it, name it, and deal with it with a huge measure of grace.

    ReplyDelete