Sunday, September 17, 2017

Chocolate Fudge Frosting

Dads birthday was on Thursday.  It was farmers market day, and he had a meeting, so we had cake on Friday instead.  Elizabeth made chocolate fudge frosting, and poured a bit that wouldn't fit on the cake onto a plate . Later on Friday, I scraped off the extra fudge into a container.
As I scraped off the plate, I stopped putting the fudge in the container, and started putting it in my mouth.  Then,  I faced the question of when to stop scraping.  No matter how delicious it is, there comes a point where there just isn't enough left for it to be worth the effort to get off any more.

And I realized mom's life has come to that point.  No matter how good and delicious and beautiful this life is, there comes a point when it is no longer worth the effort to keep working harder and harder for less and less. All night, mom has been working hard at breathing.  But very soon it will be time to let go. And when she stops working so hard, it will be alright.

At some point, you run your spoon across one last time, get one more delicious (though at this point tiny) bite, and decide you've gotten all you can. But you got the pleasure of scraping and eating each delicious bite, and every bite was worth it. 


8 comments:

  1. Dear Kelly's family,
    To love, and be loved is the greatest joy there can be. Kelly has spent her life loving, and being loved. Beyond measure. God bless you all, and thank you for being so loving and kind by sharing this journey. Goodbye to my old friend, I will always see your smile when I think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you Kelly King and the King family. Holding onto so many memories we will always cherish.
    Joanna Kinnaman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kelly and family, it's been a blessing to know your journey these past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, this is one of the most beautiful and hearwrenching analogies I have ever read--how beautifully explained. I wish you and your family strength, comfort, and peace. I don't need to wish you love, because you are surrounded by it from so many. ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you on this golden fall day...love and prayers and hugs kathleen

    ReplyDelete